Home Alarm SystemA question that is often asked the Crime Prevention Unit is whether or not a home alarms system is needed. This can be a tough question to answer. It is not because Vernon Hills has any more or less crime than any other community, rather, it is a tough question to answer because everyone's personal situation is different.
For example, you may have something specific that you want to protect. For someone else, a security system might give the family peace of mind. Whether or not you have an alarm system installed in your home is a decision that must be made with your specific situation in mind.
Vernon Hills does have an
ordinance regulating residential alarm systems and false alarms.
Do Your HomeworkHere a couple good resources to check out before you commit to any one alarm system/company:
Electronic Security Association
Better Business Bureau
However, even if you decide to have a system installed, that does not negate your responsibility to use common sense. On the opposite end, if you decide against an alarm system, you can still (and should) secure your home by adhering to some basic rules:
- Be sure to lock your doors. If an intruder comes upon a locked door, he would probably continue on until he finds an unlocked one. Make sure that the entry door has a deadbolt lock on it. If you have a sliding patio door, an auxiliary lock is highly recommended.
- Do not leave notes on your door as this is an obvious sign that no one is home.
- If you get a morning paper, bring it in before the last person leaves the house for the day. This is an obvious sign that no one is home.
- Keep your first floor windows or other accessible windows shut and locked, or install auxiliary locks that permit partial opening.
- Keep the shrubbery cut back so that it will not conceal someone who is standing outside a window or door.
- Use an answering machine, but don't have the outgoing message state that no one is home.
- Use appliance timers. Have at least one light on each floor go on/off automatically. Timers can also be used to turn a radio on/off. Also, install a timer to turn on the porch or garage light.
- A special word about garages.
The suggestions mentioned above are very general in nature and are not intended to be a complete answer to every situation. While these tips will help to make any home more secure, there are always additional security measures that will be unique to every residence.