- Village Resources
- Citizen Award and Recognition Program
Citizen Award and Recognition Program
Purpose and Scope
The Village has established general guidelines for recognizing citizens who have demonstrated heroism, extraordinary service, and exceptional acts of community caretaking.
It is the practice of the Village Board to recognize and acknowledge citizens who demonstrate individual or group achievement(s), and this policy formalizes the process for recommending persons for award consideration.
Criteria & Process
Any person may recommend an individual or group to be recognized by the Village Board by submitting documentation to the Village Manager or designee. Information should include:
• Name, address, and phone number of person(s) to be recognized.
• A brief account of the extraordinary service, significant event, or commendable act of community caretaking.
• Name, address, and phone number of person submitting the information.
Nominations, Review, and Recognition
Nominations for citizen awards and recognition may be submitted to (and by) a Village Board Member, who will forward such nominations to the Village Manager’s Office. The Village Manager will provide the entire Board a summary of the award nomination, a recommendation, and solicit input. If an award is determined to be issued, at an appropriate venue (e.g. Village Board Meeting) the persons who submitted the award and recipients will be invited to attend. The Village President and Trustees shall recognize the act(s), recipient(s), and issue the award.
Awards may be bestowed upon members of the community. Awards bestowed by the Village Board include:
• Vernon Hills Valor Award – Recognition granted to an individual or members of the community for an outstanding act in which bravery, courage, and heroism has been demonstrated.
• Vernon Hills Outstanding Citizen Award – Recognition granted to an individual or members of the community for an outstanding act in which persons went ‘above and beyond,’ or demonstrated initiative, exceptional service and/or community caretaking.