The Village does not endorse any particular vendor or vouch for any website. These resources are provided for informational purposes only. Please always do your own research and analysis.
Call for Hosts – 2023 Illinois Solar Tour!
Learn more by reviewing the Illinois Solar Tour - Call for Hosts web article and visiting the Illinois Solar Education Association (ISEA) Solar Tour website.
Vernon Hills Initiatives:
- The Village of Vernon Hills is part of the Metropolitan Mayors Caucus Greenest Region Compact collaborative, which supports sustainability and identifies ways to reduce our negative impacts on the environment while improving quality of life. Learn more by reviewing Village Resolution 2022-004, the Vernon Hills Greenest Region Compact webpage, and the 2021 Climate Action Plan for the Chicago Region.
- The Village is creating a Sustainability Planning Guide to help drive improvements within the Village. Learn More on the Village Sustainability webpage.
- Tips for Trash, Food Scrapping, Composting – Setting up service with Waste Management – /DocumentCenter/View/8601
- Residential Composting Quick Sheet – /DocumentCenter/View/8602
- Solar Panel permits/info – The Village has developed a streamlined permit process for all residential permits, including the permit process for residential solar panels (see page 2 of the linked document). Please note that regardless of the vendor, installation does require that your roof meet a few criteria.
- Prescription & OTC Drug Collection
- Cell Phones for Soldiers
- Waste Oil, Gas & Antifreeze
- Clothing & Textiles Recycling
- Shoe Recycling
- Medical Sharps Disposal
- Lake Restoration & Stream Management
Go Green Vernon Hills-Lincolnshire Group:
- Facebook Link for local environmental conservation organization
Solid Waste Agency of Lake County Programs:
- 11 Great Things You Can Do in '22
- Vernon Hills Guide to Recycling Right
- Community Profile
- Where Do I Recycle This Guide
- Scrap Composting Program
- Compost Bins and Rain Barrel Sales
- Residential Electronics Recycling Program
- Household Chemical Waste Program
- Food Scrapping
- Reuse a Shoe Recycling – Collection point at Vernon Hills Public Works, 490 Greenleaf Drive
Waste Management Services:
- Yard Waste/Food Scrap Sticker Information – information about seasonal subscriptions, including the combined Yard Waste/Food Scrapping collection options; Individual stickers are available at Village Hall, Sullivan Center, Walgreens, Mariano's and other suppliers as well as through Waste Management. Yard Waste collection runs April through late-November.
- Recycle Right
- What Can and Cannot be Recycled Curbside
- Yard Waste
- Waste Management Vernon Hills Guide
Alternate Energy Source Resources:
While ComEd is the electric delivery utility serving our community, you may select an alternate source for the actual energy portion of your service. ComEd offers the Estimator and Supplier List linked below to help you research which energy providers use wind, solar or other non-coal burning operations to generate energy. (Be sure to do your research; the Village does not endorse any of these suppliers but rather provides the ComEd links as a resource.)
- ComEd Certified Retail Electric Suppliers
- ComEd Billing Estimator
- Village Residential Permits for Solar Panels
- Citizens Utility Board (CUB) Solar in the Community Options
- Illinois Solar for All – community solar and residential solar programs
- Rewiring America Inflation Reduction Act Savings Calculator
Lake County Public Works Resources:
Composting & Organic Gardening Resources:
- Full 2022 Illinois Extension/SWALCO Garden Series calendar
- Lake County Forest Preserve Native Plant Sale/Resources
- Rain Gardens - Illinois Extension
- SWALCO Compost Bins & Rain Barrels
- Lake County Storm Water Management Rain Barrel Info
- Vernon Hills Park District Community Gardens
- Info about Phosphorus - Lake County
- Note that to protect water quality, Vernon Hills does not allow the sale or use of phosphorus fertilizers within the Village
Additional Reading Resources:
Article: Recycling Cart Tagging Program Helps Residents Recycle Right
In an effort to educate consumers about proper recycling, SWALCO (Solid Waste Agency of Lake County) has been participating in a recycling cart tagging program where staff members examine these items people place in their recycling carts. For each bin they look at, they leave a tag to let the resident know if all items in the cart were recyclable, or if there was an item or items in their cart that should not have been. If a mistake was made, staff members will put a note on the tag to let the consumer know how to dispose of that item. The program was most recently completed in Round Lake Beach, where 450 home were visited. SWALCO plans to partner with more communities in the future to offer this program. Watch this video to learn more.
Website: United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) – Sustainable Management of Food – Reducing the Impact of Wasted Food by Feeding the Soil and Composting
Website: US Composting Council – What are the Benefits of Compost
Website: NOAA/Climate.gov – What can we do to slow or stop global warming?
Article: Plastics: What's recyclable, what becomes trash – and why (NPR)
Car Charging Stations
Need a Recharge? Car recharging stations are available at the following locations:
- Illinois Solar Tour – September 30, 2023 from 10a to 3p
Do you have a Green Initiative to share?
- Please let us know by emailing Social@vhills.org