Vernon Hills has several railroad crossings in town and one passenger station (Metra at 75 E. Rt. 45). Rapid transit stations can provide some unique safety issues. Amtrak, Metra, BNSF, NICTD and Union Pacific Police along with officials from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) have mobilized for Operation ALERTS (Allied Law Enforcement for Rail and Transit Security). Most transit operators take parts in Transit Watch, a nationwide public awareness outreach campaign, that encourages the active participation of transit passengers and employees in maintaining a safe transit environment.
On behalf of Transit Watch, transit agencies have integrated the "See Something, Say Something" Public Awareness Program. You can help to maintain secure travel environments by reporting unattended packages and suspicious activity. Never assume someone else will make the call.
Suspicious Activity is described as a combination of actions and behaviors that appear strange, inconsistent or out of the ordinary. Suspicion is based upon where someone is and what they are doing, NOT upon race, color, ethnicity or gender. Watch for individuals who are:
Loitering, staring or watching employees and customers.
Expressing an unusual level of interest in operations, equipment and personnel.
Dressed inappropriately for the weather conditions, such as a bulky coat in summer.
Acting extremely nervous or anxious.
In an unauthorized or restricted area.
Suspicious Packages is based upon type and location of the package. Not all lost and found items are suspicious; most are simply forgotten items. Any suspicious-looking or unattended package, bag, container or luggage found in or near trains, stations, vehicles or buildings should be immediately reported to the police. Look for packages that are:
- Left or itentionally placed in an out-of-the-way location.
- Abandoned by someone quickly leaving the area.
- Displaying visible wires, batteries, a clock or timer.
- Emitting an odor, mist or oily liquid.
Please remember to:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Keep your personal items secure and in close proximity. Wallets, laptop computers and other electronic devices are easy and desirable targets for thieves.
- Report any suspicious activity or unattended luggage by notifying the Vernon Hills police (9-1-1 or 847-362-4449) or the Metra Police (312-322-2800).
For more information on transit safety, security or Emergency Preparedness, you can visit the following websites: